Tuesday 17 May 2016

Hill of the Wangie

15 May 2016

Participants: Neil and Ben
Where: Hill of the Wangie, 319m/1047', Map 28, NJ 137 538
 
This hill has a certain notoriety in Marilyn bagging circles. Tales abound of folk thrashing through dense conifers in search of the illusive trig. So, before venturing forth, I busied myself on the internet searching for advice as to the best route. This is a view of the hill from the east.....
 
 
For the benefit of anyone reading this who might be tempted, this was my route. I parked at the end of a track at NJ 13669 53733 on the south side of the hill. I followed the track up hill to a junction with another track, turned on to this and after 100m left it to climb up a mountain bike trail. What a terrifying trail; it was bad enough walking it far less cycling. I wouldn't have wanted to meet a cyclist coming the other way! This trail climbed through new plantations, crossed another forestry track and continued upwards into the old part of the forest. I knew that the MB trail emerged into an old forest ride and that the trig was just off that. However, I had assumed that the ride continued in the same direction as I had been going- south/north. I ended up searching through this.....
 
 
After about 10 minutes, I did the sensible thing and paused to think. I went back to the top of the MB trail and saw that the ride in fact also ran east/west and worked out that the trig must be off that. About 100m along- eureka......
 
 
It was a very solid looking trig without any of the usual chips, markings etc. Presumably it gets very few visitors......
 
 
 
Mission accomplished, I retraced my steps. There was a reasonable view south-east to Ben Rinnes from the top of the new plantings.....
 
 

No comments: