Wednesday 25 May 2016

Carn Dearg (Scammadale)

23 May 2016.

Participants: Just me.
Where: Carn Dearg (Scammadale), 438m/1436', Sub-2k Marilyn, Map 55, NM 896190
 
This hill was in an area that I hadn't visited before. I drove to the end of the public road at Bragleenbeg where there was a big parking area. It was a welcoming area, I got friendly waves from folk in houses, cars and on tractors - very refreshing. The route was straightforward, bridge across the river and follow a track past the farm to its end before taking to the hillside. It started off sunny and warm, clouded over while I was up the hill, and returned to sunshine when I got back down. The air was very clear however so the views were excellent. This is a view of Loch Scammadale from a short distance up the track.....
 
 
After climbing steeply, the track reached a flat area and stopped abruptly. However the hillside was nice and dry and after climbing over a few knolls, the summit came into view.....
 
 
I don't know where the stone for the cairn came from, there was nothing else that colour around. Here it is with Cruachan in the background.....
 
 
Scarba was prominent to the south.......
 
 
the Mull hills to the west.....
 
 
and the hills on the eastern horizon.....
 
 
I noticed that there were a number of Rights of Way signs in the glen, they would be worth exploring if you were staying in the area as you are well away from the main hillwalking area here. There were two other sub-2k's nearby but I decided to leave them for another day!

No comments: