Wednesday 24 February 2016

White Top of Culreoch

23 February 2016
 
Participants: Just me
Where: White Top of Culreoch, 344m/1,130', Sub-2k Marilyn, Map 83, NX 600633
 
Well, that was a wonderful day's weather. And not too bad a hill either. I found space to park at the start of the track off the Laurieston to Gatehouse road, about 4 miles north of Gatehouse. The track started off going downhill, not the best of starts. It's a bit like having your pudding before your soup. It skirted the Craig of Grobdale.....
 
 
and shortly after, where it started to level out, I left it and set off up the hill, following the line of a wall and fence.....
 
 
There were traces of an ATV track which greatly eased the ascent, the only problem being that higher up I had to cross the fence which had a barbed top wire. I made a bit of an exhibition of myself crossing it on the way up but seemed to have mastered it on the way down! This is the view that greeted me when I got closer to the top and could see to the north.....
 
 
The summit area has been cleared of trees; I believe that it used to be a wooded horror with no view and the cairn difficult to find. Having to pick my way through fallen timber and brash was a small price to pay for the view today. This is the actual summit, looking north.....
 
 
In the opposite direction was Bengray which I climbed last autumn.....
 
 
but the main view was to Cairnsmore of Fleet.....
 
 
Although a bit too distant to get in a good photograph, I could also see the Pennines, the Lake District and the Isle of Man. It was a summit to sit about on- the sun was warm for the time of year- so I did. Including time sitting around, 2 hours 30 minutes car to car. A real Marilyn baggers hill this one- I doubt if many people have even heard of it.
 
 

No comments: