Sunday 25 November 2012

Cairnie Hill

23 November 2012

Participants - Just me
Where - Cairnie Hill, 228m/749', Sub-2k Marilyn, Map 59, NO 279155

I was on my way to the Dundee Mountain Film Festival and as it was a beautiful day I stopped for a walk. I chose Cairnie Hill on the grounds that although I have climbed it before it had not yet been included in this blog. Anyway, its a nice wee hill. There has apparently been doubt as to whether it in fact qualified as a Marilyn but a survey a few months ago found that its relative height was more than 150m so its status has been confirmed.

Cairnie Hill lies above Lindores Loch south of Newburgh. It is not named on the 1:50 000 map but is on the larger scale map. Although the car park was closed, I managed to get the car off the road close to a fisherman's hut from where it was only a short walk south along the road to the start of a track that went to within a few yards of the summit. Lindores Loch looked very pleasant; there was a large flock of swans at the side furthest away from me and it is obviously an over wintering habitat for birds.





This is pheasant rearing country and there were lots in the wood, definitely not a hill on which to take a spaniel! I was pleased to see thet there was still a bit of colour left on the trees and the area around the summit was very pleasant.....


Approaching the top.....


The highest point is apparently a rock close to this beautiful and distinctive old tree.....


I wonder how much longer it will stand. A path is being formed from the track to the tree so this hill must be attracting its share of Marilyn baggers. Its not really surprising as the views are fine; this is to Norman's Law and the Tay.....


and this is across Fife towards Mount Hill which is close to Cupar.....


Cairnie Hill is not at all distinctive from the countryside round about but it provided a very pleasant short walk.

3 comments:

blueskyscotland said...

I like that part of Fife Neil.Its a lot wilder in that area than the map would suggest.

Neil said...

I agree Bob. Wee hills but nice.

Alex said...

Bob and I were up this a few years ago.The summit "cairn" took a bit of finding.!
Alex.