Sunday 23 September 2012

Coiliochbhar Hill

21 September 2012

Participants - Neil and Ben
Where - Coiliochbhar Hill, 533m/1,748', Sub-2k Marilyn, Map 37, NJ 503163

The weather was good and I decided to make another visit to Aberdeenshire. The main focus this time was another ascent of Bennachie, but there were a few other sub-2k Marilyn's in the area that I had not yet climbed. I had chosen Craiglich as one to climb to break up the journey as it was on the direct route that I was taking to Aberdeen but when I pulled up at the start point I saw that there were cows and calves in the field that the track went through. So no go there. A look at the map showed that there was another Marilyn a few miles away that I had not climbed- Coiliochbhar Hill- so I drove down a few country roads to get to it. I had not researched this hill and knew nothing about it so I hoped that there would not be too many obstacles for Ben to manage. In fact, there were sheep in two fields that we had to initially cross so Ben had to remain on his lead for this section. There were also 3 gates, the first was held closed by a stone, the second by a piece of rope, and with a bit of persuasion, Ben managed to crawl underneath the third.

The starting point was just west of the farm at Upper Minmore. I managed to park on the verge at a corner in the road about 100 yards away. This is a view of the hill from close to the start.....


There was a good track which went through the fields and then after the third gate, entered an area of cleared, but replanted, forest. I was now clear of all livestock so Ben was able to be released from his restraint, much to the relief of us both. The track climbed steadily up through the trees before emerging on heather moorland. This is actually one of the higher sub-2k's in the area and the views really started to open out. They were enhanced by a few old Scots pines that had sprouted out of the moorland, here is one fine speciman  in an easterly view towards a distant Bennachie.....
 

Looking round, the best of the westerly view was across the farm lands to the Corbett of Morven.....


Nearing the top of the hill we reached an older forest.....


The track headed off to the left and downhill so I decided just to make my way through the trees, it was only for a short distance and the going was not too bad underfoot. An old fence headed in the required direction. Once out of the wood, the cairn was in sight, here is the approach with another sub-2k, Tap o'Noth in the distance.....


To the north-west was a Graham, the Buck, which I had hurried up one autumn to avoid stalking.....


As usual, Ben was keen to keep on the move, here he is waiting for the signal to set off down again.....


I really enjoyed this hill, particularly as I had known nothing about it! The Aberdeenshire Marilyns are good value in terms of views as most of them are fairly isolated from their neighbours. And the weather forecast was good for tomorrow when I planned to walk the best known of all the hills in the area.
 
 
 

1 comment:

Alex said...

Never heard of this one.!