Saturday 1 April 2023

Clover Law (Broughton Hills)

 27 March 2023

Where: Clover Law, 493m/1,617', P 68m, Tump, OS 72, NT 121 389

At last, a glorious early spring day, although the forecast was for cloud and rain to return for the rest of the week. I had bagged all of the Marilyns and a few of the associated Tumps on previous visits to the Broughton Hills but Clover Law is a bit of an outlier unless you are specifically bagging Tumps. So that was where I decided to go today. This is a very welcoming area for walkers; there is a walkers car park, good tracks and the farmer is friendly.

I followed the Main valley path which is part of the John Buchan Way as far as the Hammer Head col before taking to the east ridge of Clover Law.....



From the first path junction, ther is a good view of the Marilyn, Penvalla (in the distance to the left of Hammer Head).....

A short distance further and the path forked again, the less distinct left branch climbing the east ridge of Clover Law and the right branch climbing up to the ridge of Green Law and Broughton Heights (pictured).....

The summit of Clover Law was unmarked and indistinct but it was a pleasant spot to sit and have my lunch. Ladyurd Hill, Penvalla and Hammer Head from my lunch spot.....

I could see Black Hill to the north-east.....

Culter Fell and Tinto to the west.....

I returned by the same route, Culter Fell always in sight as I made my way back along the valley.....





No comments: