Saturday 27 August 2022

Creag an Lochain (Tarmachan)

 27 August 2022

Participants: Just me

Where: Creag an Lochain, 840m/2,757', P 48m, Tump, OS 51, NN 590 402

Back to the highland hills and not before time! Creag an Lochain is the north east top of the Munro Meall nan Tarmachan and sits above the reservoir Lochain na Lairig. I parked at the green hut close to the high point of the Lochain na Lairig road which goes between Loch Tay and Glen Lyon. Although I had set off early I got the only remaining parking spot. Having been doing lowland hills for the last couple of years I had almost forgotten about midges; I was soon reminded. I stepped out of the car into a swarm, fortunately there were none further up the hill. Creag an Lochain- which is much steeper than it looks in the photo- and Meall nan Tarmachan from the start..... 

I followed a track initially but soon left it to strike straight up the hill, it was steep. Looking back at the starting point, Glen Lyon beyond.....


There was patchy cloud on the top of Tarmachan but it was obvious that it was going to clear.....

It soon did.....



The ridge narrowed higher up and there were views down to the lochan with the Lawers hills beyond.....

There were a number of false tops before I reached the grassy platform that was the summit; the actual high point was an embedded rock.....

Lochain na Lairig and the Lawers hills.....

Looking back down the ridge with a host of high hills on the horizon. The Peak finder app told me that I was looking at Mullach nan Coirean in the Mamores on the left and the Sow of Atholl on the right with Nevis, Grey Corries, Alder, Drumochter in between. A very useful tool Peak finder. 

I'm finding going down steep slopes a bit of a problem nowadays, however it is worth it for a day like this.

No comments: