Saturday 4 June 2022

Dungoil (Campsie Fells)

 2 June 2022

Participants: Just me

Where: Dungoil, 424m/1,391', P 71m, Tump, OS 57, NS 634 845

A spur of the moment decision to go for a walk, and to bag the nearest Tump to home not yet climbed. Dungoils slopes had been covered in forestry but that had now been mostly cut down offering what looked like an easy route up from parking on the Crow road. And so it proved. I parked in the same lay by that I had used when I climbed Gartcarron Hill, opposite a gate which led directly on to the slopes of today's hill. More importantly, a track started at the gate and went a good distance up the hill. Dungoil from the start.....

Getting closer.....

I reached a fence over which was a turning circle for a logging road. After crossing that, I was faced with about 20 yards of forestry waste to get across, all the time aiming for a grassy strip that I spotted going up to the ridge.I emerged from that very close to the summit- a good result. The weather was a bit overcast but there were brighter patches and the cloud formations were good so I spent some time at the top waiting for these to come over so that I could get my photographs. It was, as expected, a splendid viewpoint.

There was a small cairn, not quite on the highest point.....

North over Fintry to the Southern Highland hills.....


East to the Carron valley.....

Carron Valley and Meikle Bin.....

South to Holehead with its radar station.....

I reckon that this will be the best route to take if doing Dungoil on its own.




No comments: