Friday 28 February 2020

Mansion Hill (Dalmeny)

27 February 2020

Participants: Just me
Where: Mansion Hill (Dalmeny), 82m/269', P34m, Tump, OS 65, NT 162 775

February has been a rotten month this year if you wanted to climb hills- wind, cloud and rain most days. Today was nice though, albeit with a bit of a cold northerly wind but that resulted in a clear atmosphere and lovely views. I headed back to Queensferry to do another of the three Tumps on the Dalmeny estate. I left the car in the car park at the rail bridge, even on a February day there were a lot of tourists about and I had to search for a space. I then headed up the pavement alongside the B924 as far as the Chapel Gate entrance to the estate. Mansion Hill.....


I followed the estate road for a bit before cutting over to a gate at the corner of the field that is the north side of the hill. There was another gate at the top of the field that let me into the wooded area that contains the highest point. The woodland is fairly open so no problem although there was no view.....


Back at the edge of the wood I got a good view down the Firth of Forth past Granton to the distant Isle of May and North Berwick Law.....


and across the river to Fife.....


I did think about carrying on to add my remaining required Tump on the estate- New England- but decided to leave it for another day. If this weather pattern continues I will need some more short day trips.

Back at the car, there was a great view of the road bridges with the snow covered Ochil hills beyond....


No comments: