Monday 17 September 2018

Three TuMPs in the Eastern Ochil Hills

15 September 2018
 
Participants: Just me
Where: Lamb Hill, 422m/1,384', P30m, TuMP, OS Map 58, NO 009 076, John's Hill, 483m/1,585', P72m, TuMP, NO 001 081, and Sim's Hill, 483m/1,585', P 49m, NN 999 076
 
It was the kind of weather that I like, temperature in the mid-teens, light breeze, clear visibility. Time to pick some more TuMPs off my to-do list. This time I fancied a walk in the eastern Ochil Hills, starting from Littlerig on the Dunning road. This is a much quieter area, although two folk were staring up Lamb Hill as I was getting back to the car. A gate opposite the car park avoided the need to climb a fence with barbed wire on top and it was a short, steady climb to the summit of Lamb Hill, took me less than 30 minutes. The view of the rest of my walk opened up from here, this is looking towards Sim's Hill (left) and John's Hill.....
 
 
There was also a good view of Corb Law, a HuMP to the north still to do.....
 
 
There were plenty of 4WD and sheep tracks on the hills so the walking was of the easy variety. John's Hill was next and it was a better viewpoint. This is looking towards the hills of the south Ochils including Ben Thrush which I had climbed with Ben earlier in the year.....
 
 
The Ben Chonzie hills on the horizon.....
 
 
Another view of Corb Law.....
 
 
Windmills on the long ridge of the Marilyn, Steele's Knowe- they are particularly prolific hereabouts.....
 
 
Then it was down to another col and a much steeper climb to the top of Sim's Hill, which was of equal height to the hill I had just left. The windmills this time were on the north ridge of Ben Thrush, which it would be possible to do with Sim's Hill, although my route was much better I reckon.....
 
 
I returned to the col below John's Hill and continued down a lovely little glen which took me back to the car park. There was a nice view of the hills to the other side of the Dunning road.....
 
 
and a fine view back to John's and Sim's Hills. Whoever John and Sim were they have given their names to a couple of nice wee hills; this is a walk that I would do again.....
 
 
 

No comments: