Friday 3 November 2017

In the shadow of Ben Vrackie

2 November 2017

Participants: Neil and Ben
Where: Creag Bhreac, 557m/1827', Tump, OS 43, NN 949618, Meall na h-Aodainn, 633m/2077', Hump, NN 942 622, and Meall Uaine, 626m/2054', Tump, NN 937 618
 
What a glorious late autumn day- hardly a cloud in the sky and superb visibility. I had climbed Ben Vrackie on numerous occasions but had not ventured on to the ring of smaller hills that lay between it and Pitlochry. They had built a second car park just past Moulin since my last visit and just as well- it was almost full when I arrived. Lots of people on the hill- on the one hill, Ben Vrackie, as I saw no one on the tops that I was on. The path to the hill had been improved as well. First sight of the hills after emerging from the trees, Creag Bhreac with Ben Vrackie beyond.....
 
 
and Meall Uaine and Meall na h-Aodainn.....
 
 
I followed the path to almost its highest point before striking off up rough ground to Creag Bhreac from where there was a great view of Ben Vrackie.....
 
 
View to Meall Uaine from summit.....
 
 
and to Meall na h-Aodainn.....
 
 
and a panorama of all three.....
 
 
I dropped back down to the path and carried on to Loch a'Choire at the foot of Ben Vrackie.....
 
 
The path along the lochside was a bit muddy and on the sheltered side of Meall na h-Aodainn there were traces of ice in places, winter is coming. A view of Ben Vrackie from the path, I could se a crowd of people on top.....
 
 
A shortish climb through the heather brought me to the well defined top of Meall na h-Aodainn, a fine viewpoint. The distinctive cone of Schiehallion with the Blackmount hills visible behind it, the route of the A9 and the village of Blair Atholl.....
 
 
Beinn Dearg (Atholl), a fairly remote Munro.....
 
 
And then Ben disappeared. The sun was in my eyes and I didn't see him go but there were deer about and he must have chased off after them. I didn't know which direction he'd gone and after about 10 minutes shouting I was becoming concerned. He usually comes back to the point at which he left me so I started to retrace my steps although I wasn't certain of the exact route that we'd come. And then he appeared, climbing slowly back up through the heather, goodness knows how far down the hill he'd chased the deer. We were both relieved to be reunited and he stuck close to me for the rest of the walk.
 
I re-joined the path and followed it downhill for a bit before taking to the steep slopes of Meall Uaine. The heather was challenging! Although it was a fairly short climb I wondered a couple of times if it was worth bothering about this hill but we stuck at it. Thank goodness we did, it was the best viewpoint of the day. How's this for a photo of Loch Tummel and Schiehallion.....
 
 
The tops of the Beinn a'Ghlo group could just be seen, east of the Glen Tilt hills.....
 
 
Ben was tired (and so was I)......
 
 
The highest point on this hill has apparently varied over the years from where I was to the next bump along the ridge but thankfully today it was the first top we came to- the one with the small receiving mast.
 
Another view of Ben Vrackie on the way down.....
 
 
and of Creag Bhreac from near to the main path.....
 
 
It was a tough but satisfying round. Most folk doing it would also include Ben Vrackie but that is beyond me nowadays. Still, if Humps and Tumps can produce these views then I don't need to do more repeats of the higher hills.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

blueskyscotland said...

Nice area and photos. The last month has been better than our summer.