Thursday 2 June 2016

A'Chruach (Arran)

1 June 2016

Participants: Just me
Where: A'Chruach (Arran), 514m/1,685', Sub-2k Marilyn, Map 69, NR 969335
 
A'Chruach is the least exciting of the Arran Marilyns, unless, of course, you like tramping across lots of upland moorland. Nevertheless, it has a fine remote feel to it and an unsurpassed view to most of the higher peaks.
 
I parked at the high point of the String road. From there, it was straight up -steeply- following a fence line up grassy tongues and then thick heather to the top of Cnoc Dubh. The consolation was the fine view that opened up behind.....the main peaks from Ben Nuis to Goatfell......
 
 


There was a substantial cairn on top and when I arrived, I was surprised to see another walker approaching from the direction of the Marilyn. Had to be another Marilyn bagger- it was. A chap who had just bagged his 900th Marilyn on A'Chruach. After chatting to him for a bit, I took a few photos. The cairn and the main hills.....
 
 
A zoom shot into Glen Rosa.....
 
 
And then it was Marilyn time for me. The initial climb up Cnoc Dubh had accounted for most of the day's height gain and it was now just a slog across the moorland (A'Chruach is on the right).....
 
 
There was a lot of moss underfoot which led to some tedious going. Fortunately, it had been dry for a few weeks now; it must be awful going in the wet. I guess that the cairn says something about the popularity of this hill.....
 
 
but the view was still good. The main hills again.....
 
 
Mullach Buidhe, a Graham that I have still to do.....
 
 
Then it was back the same way, 3 hours 30 car to car. As usual when I visit Arran, I drove round a bit before getting the evening ferry back. A last view from the ferry.....

3 comments:

blueskyscotland said...

I think I'll give that walk a miss Neil but it's good to see it to know what it's like. Alex was in his element yesterday, surrounded by a boatload of dedicated Marilyn baggers who actually knew his online persona and his exploits. Unfortunately, he was too seasick to really enjoy the experience :o)

Neil said...

And the Firth of Clyde looked calm! Is Alex in training for the St Kilda stacks?

blueskyscotland said...

He was feeling seasick on the Corran ferry once so I don't think St Kilda is an option somehow. It was a major Marilyn tick but he suffered for his trig ascent there and back.