Thursday 25 July 2013

Burleywhag Bothy

20 July 2013

Where - Burleywhag bothy, Southern Scotland

No hills this week, instead, a few pictures of Burleywhag bothy, maintained by the MBA.....
 

I hadn't been at a work party for ages. Anyone who has been on one with me will readily understand why- my talents lie elsewhere! However, work parties are great fun and there's always some small job that I can do without endangering the structure of the building.

The temperatures were still soaring so I set off early to get the walk in to the bothy done before the worst of the heat arrived. The estate allows folk to park at Mitchellslacks farm which is also a starting point for Queensberry, the highest hill hereabouts. When I climbed it, it was from the east side, a very rough and boggy way. The Mitchellslacks approach looks really good so I've put it on my list for another visit.

The track was excellent; it followed the course of the Capel burn up the glen at a gentle angle. It was a very pleasant walk in some fine scenery, the only problem was that I had to be alert for clegs, they seem to like taking blood out of my hands for some reason. It had been a bit misty early on but that lifted as I made my way up the glen.....


I passed two former estate houses that were fast becoming ruinous and then the bothy came into view.....


Here are a few pictures that I took of the bothy. It was routine tasks that were being undertaken, essential if these buildings are to remain available for use by future generations of hill goers. These buildings would quickly become ruinous if left to the mercy of the elements. I think that everyone who enjoys the wild places should be a member of the MBA. Although like me, you may not have technical skills, there are other ways in which you can help and your membership fee will help buy the materials that are essential to keep the buildings wind and water tight.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

blueskyscotland said...

Looks in good condition Neil. I think I've only walked past that one, never stayed in it, on the way to other hills in the vicinity.
Seem to remember a very small wood burning stove.