Friday 28 June 2013

Cnoc Corr Guinie

25 June (morning)

Participants - Neil and Ben
Where - Cnoc Corr Guinie, 397m/1,301', Sub-2k Marilyn, Map 21, NH 672754

I was having some work done in the house so Ben and I escaped for a few days for a short tour of  the north taking in some new sub-2k's- up the A9 to Inverness, down to Tomintoul and home by Braemar. The weather was a bit dull but the visibility was excellent and it was dry. Not that I expected to see wide panoramic views from Cnoc Corr Guinie which is another forested hill. It is difficult to find hills that don't have fences or livestock or some other hazard that prevents me taking Ben but generally the forested ones are ok so I tend to favour them when I have him with me.

I drove over the Kessock bridge, then the Cromarty bridge, past Evanton and up the B9176. We were up this way last year when I climbed Cnoc Ceislein. The start today was at the end of a forestry track where there was space for a couple of cars.....


Through the open gate and we immediately turned left and shortly after right on to a track that went all the way to the summit. Approaching the end of the forest, it swung right through some old gate posts and then went more steeply uphill......


At the top we were out into the open on some rough ground.....


There was a large cairn at the end of this clearing I suspect that there must have been a wall or a building about here at one time and the remaining stones have been formed into the cairn. It wasn't at the highest point, that appeared to be somewhere nearer the end of the track where I emerged onto the open ground. Anyway, the best view point was at the cairn, this is looking down to the Moray Firth.....


All the views had been behind us on the way up so we got them on the way back. From the high point of the path we were looking straight down through the gap in the trees to the oil rigs moored off Invergordon.....


It wasn't blanket forestry and there were glimpse of the hills to the west; this is the Graham, Beinn Tharsuinn which I have still to do.....


And this is looking towards Cnoc Fyrish and Cnoc Ceislein with the eastern corries of Bern Wyvis in the background.....


The walk was just over 4 miles.

No comments: