Tuesday 9 October 2012

Cnoc Ceislein and the Fyrish Monument

6 October 2012

Participants - Neil and Ben
Where - Cnoc Ceislein, 523m/1,716', Sub-2k Marilyn, Map 21, NH 589706

Cnoc Ceislein was the main objective of the weekend; it looked a good hill with the Fyrish Monument an added attraction. I had seen many pictures of this structure but had never visited it. This is a view of my objective from the other side of the Cromarty bridge.....


The starting point was a small car park off a side road off the Evanton- Struie road.....


The track wound up through the forest at a fairly gentle angle. Emerging from the trees, there was a good view to Invergordon and down the Cromarty Firth towards the North Sea.....


I reached the monument in about an hour, just as some high cloud came over!  So I only took the one picture.....


However, on the way back, the sun was shining brightly again and I took a few more pictures using part of the monument as foreground.....








It was built in 1782 on the orders of Sir Hector Munro of Novar and represents the Gate of Negapatam, a port in Madras in India which Sir Hector took for the British in 1781. It is an amazing structure and well worth visiting even if you don't extend the walk to Cnoc Ceislein. Needless to say, I was adding on the sub-2k, this is looking to it from Cnoc Fyrish.....


The track lost a bit of height, went through another bit of forest and turned north to cross the shoulder of the Marilyn. Getting closer.....


The autumn colours were starting to show and there was a good view to another sub-2k Marilyn to the north, Beinn Tharsuinn.....


I left the main track at its highest point where I found a faint path through the heather leading to the top. Blow me if a shower didn't come in just as I got there. It was also quite windy and cold. Here are Ben, the trig, the Novar wind farm, Ben Wyvis and to the right of it the Corbett Meall Mor which I've still to do, together with rainbow.....


There were a flock of Golden Plover near the top, first time I've seen them this year. However, I didn't linger for long as I hadn't brought a thick jacket; just took a zoomed shot of Ben Wyvis and the wind farm before heading back the way I had come.....


The sunshine returned on the way back although it remained on the cool side. It had been an excellent walk and one that I would do again, c.8 miles taking 4 hours.

2 comments:

blueskyscotland said...

You've certainly been busy Neil.A hill I,ve always wanted to do since seeing that structure in a Tom weir post in the Scots Magazine over 3o years ago.
Looks amazing.

Neil said...

It was pictures of the monument that drew me to the hill, Bob. I wasn't disappointed, its an amazing structure. Once I new where it was and where to look, I could actually see it from many miles away in the Black Isle.