Sunday 15 July 2012

The Amulree Grahams: Meall nan Caorach and Meall Reamhar

14 July 2012

Participants - Just me
Where - Meall nan Caorach, 623m/2,045', Graham, Map 52, NN 929339 and Meall Reamhar, 620m/2,035', Graham, Map 52, NN 922332

It had been awful weather and the forecasters were promising much more of the same. So when a half decent day came along, I had to take the opportunity. It was fairly grey but there was some blue sky and the atmosphere was very clear. Meall nan Caorach and Meall Reamhar are not the most exciting of hills which is probably why I had never climbed them before! There was nowhere to park at the start of the track that passes between the two hills so I left the car in the car park at Amulree village hall which meant about an 800m walk along the road at the start and finish of the day. The whole walk could be seen from the car park, Meall nan Caorach is on the left and Meall Reamhar on the right.....


I followed the track past the cottage at Girron and on up the glen, gaining height gradually.....


Meall Reamhar looked like it was the rougher of the two so I climbed it first. There was a barbed wire fence between the track and the hill that I had to cross, one of the the reasons that Ben wasn't with me (lots of sheep was the other reason). He is too heavy now to lift over fences. I joined the west flank of the hill and plodded on to the cairn, reaching it just as a shower came in. It was short lived however and it soon cleared up again, great as there were some good views to be had. This is looking west over distant Amulree to Loch Freuchie with the Glen Lyon hills in the background.....


and this is looking towards Ben Chonzie.....


The drop to the glen was just over 500'; a fence led straight down and then steeply up the second Graham, seen here from part way down.....


I had been going quite well but this next bit of ascent brought me to a stop, lounging in an arm chair watching Euro 2012 followed by a fortnight's watching the tennis is not really the best preparation for hill walking. Anyway, after a few stops I made it to the trig. On the way up there was a good view down the glen to Loch Freuchie with Carn Mairg and Schiehallion in the background.....


You can't see much of the Griffin wind farm when driving up the road to Aberfeldy but it is certainly well seen from here.....


I think that I made the right decision to leave Meall nan Caorach to last as the best of the view was in front of me all of the way down the west slopes back to the track.....



This was a longer walk than I had done for a while and my legs were feeling it when I reached the car

2 comments:

blueskyscotland said...

I think I,ve climbed one or both of these in the distant past.That,s the trouble with not keeping records though of what you,ve done.Its a wild area up that way.How many have you got left now Neil?

Neil said...

The bigger hills and longer days are difficult for me now since I was ill a few years back so I can't see me finishing any of the other lists. My intention is to do as many Marilyns as possible, especially those that are good viewpoints and take me to different parts of the country. I am currently on 653 Marilyns in total; my next goal is to get up to 700! Likely to take me a few years yet though!