Wednesday 9 May 2012

Wether Law

9 May 2012

Participants - Just me
Where - Wether Law, 479m/1,570', Sub-2k Marilyn, Map 72, NT 194483

Wether Law appears to be something of an overlooked sub-2k Marilyn. I searched all the usual web sites looking for reports of others' trips but there was nothing. Obviously not a very popular hill! It sits south of the Pentland Hills and west of Penicuik, the highest point of an area of grassy hills and forest. There was plenty of parking at Halmyre just off the A701. I followed a track round a nursery and through a couple of fields containing large flocks of sheep. From early on, the views of the Pentlands (behind me) were good......


The track continued into a forest where lots of felling had taken place. Fortunately, there had been rides through the forest and these were still clear so I followed one of these down to the Fingland Burn with Wether Law now in full view ahead.....


After crossing the burn, there was another obstacle- a combined wall and barbed wire fence;
presumably the wall was there first and then the fence was added to keep the sheep in/out. Anyway I found a place where I could cross without too much difficulty and set off up the grassy slopes of the hill, aiming for a radio mast at the west end of the summit ridge. It was a pleasant walk from the mast to the trig following a 4WD track....


This is the view east from the trig looking to the Pentlands.....


and in the other direction with Tinto on the horizon.....


No wall to wall sunshine today and no expansive seascapes either but it was still a pleasant walk. The sub-2k's certainly provide variety!

1 comment:

blueskyscotland said...

No doubt I,ll be heading there soon myself.I just dont know it yet.