Tuesday 20 September 2011

Meikle Bin

20 September 2011.

Participants - Neil and Ben
Where - Meikle Bin, 570m/1,870', Sub-2,000' Marilyn, Map 57, NS 667822, c. 2 hours and 30 minutes.

The weather was not very promising so there was no point in driving far to do a hill. Meikle Bin is nice and handy and a good leg stretcher on mainly forest tracks and grassy slopes. Ben needed a decent run around so that's where we went. As I drove into the car park at the west end of the Carron Valley Reservoir the heavens opened, fortunately it didn't last so we got on our way. Although it remained mostly cloudy there was no more rain to speak of, just as well because I didn't have my waterproof trousers with me. I blogged this hill in March 2010 so I won't repeat the details that I gave then. The only thing of note was that the link path between the forestry track and the open hill was a sea of mud and required some not so nifty dodging under tree branches to get through. Apart from that, it was a decent walk, one I've done a few times in the past and will no doubt do again. This is a picture of Meikle Bin from the road on the other side of the Reservoir.....


and these are a few photos that I took on this visit, starting with a view back across the reservoir from a few hundred yards into the walk.....


looking towards Meikle Bin from a clearing in the trees....


approaching the summit....


the trig with the flat lands of the central belt beyond.....


a couple of pics looking back down to the Reservoir.....



and finally looking west to Ben Lomond and some of the other Southern Highland hills.....

1 comment:

blueskyscotland said...

Sorry Neil. I can,t believe you enjoy Meikle Bin .Once was enough for me:0)
Just goes to show everyone has different tastes in hills.Its my least favourite bump in the Campsie-Fintry hill mass apart from
Tomtain.
Supposed to be big cats lurking in the Carron Valley Forest though.A few sightings reported over the years.They live mainly on discarded banana skins and orange peel.
bob.