Monday 21 June 2010

Torlum, The Knock of Crieff

21 June 2010.

Participants - Just me
Where - Torlum, 393m/1,290', Sub-2,000' Marilyn, Map 57, NN 819192; Knock of Crieff, 279m/915', Sub-2,000' Marilyn, Map 52/58, NN 873233

 It was a warm day and a bit humid; I fancied a short walk and didn't want to have to drive too far to get there. Fortunately, there are a number of easy Marilyns that fulfil that criteria and provide a nice day out. I approached Torlum from the network of narrow roads to its east and parked at the entrance to a forestry track near to a sawmill. This is a view of the hill that I got from along the road a bit.....


I then simply followed the track which turned into a path higher up and the trig soon appeared. Someone has planted a Christmas tree beside it which now looks to be well established!


The best of the view was towards the hills around Ben Chonzie; this, as they say, is one that I took earlier, as it is a better picture than the one that I took today!


The only downside to this walk was the number of flies. They were so annoying that I only stayed at the top for a few minutes before turning round and heading back to the car.

I then drove the short distance to Crieff to climb the Knock. This is it from the west.....


It must be amongst the easiest of the Scottish Marilyns. There is a car park behind the Crieff Hydro hotel so I was half way up the hill when I got out of the car. The initial walk was through nice mixed woodland with a carpet of flowers.....


which brought me to a viewpoint with a good view of Ben Chonzie and Auchnafree Hill behind it.....


but the summit itself was a bit further on in the middle of a pine forest (picture again taken on a previous visit) so there was no view from it.....


No comments: